where the cool crafters congregate

Sometimes one hobby just isn't enough. If you're like me, you look at almost everything in the world and wonder, "Can I make that?" That's how I got started making beaded tiaras, jewelry, hats, clothes - and even mosaics, silhouettes, painting ... you name it. My parents both do the same. Hey, I grew up in Vermont where winters are cold and long, so you have to entertain yourself. So if you love making stuff, come join me!

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Getting Started

I think I like planning for, buying for, thinking about -- did I mention buying for? -- a new project as much or more than doing the project. I spend hours looking up ideas and inspiration online and in books, trolling through supply shops, arranging my supplies by size, color, and shape. Of course, if you're going to start a blog, you can't really line up all your supplies or separate them out into little compartments. But you can waste a lot of time diddling around looking at books on blogs, books on craft blogs (yes this exists), thinking about the perfect picture to post. So it's actually taken me about six months and positive reactions to some of my Facebook craft tutorials to get something up. I have to thank my dear friend Ellen who got something going within about a week of moving to Vienna to join her new husband. One week! But then, she was always more organized than me.

So my original idea was to open a place, called The Crafty Bee, where people could come and take classes or just meet to work on their projects together, sort of the way people would come together for a sewing bee back in the olden days. The problem is I have a pretty busy day job and a little tiny apartment with no parking and lots of neighbors, so that's probably going to have to wait until I start my retirement career. (Yes, I'm assuming I'll have to have a retirement career. Won't we all?) Since I can't have that, I thought, well, in the meantime, let's take this virtual! So welcome to the online version of The Crafty Bee. I'm going to post pictures of projects and tutorials here, done by me and fellow crafty bee types and invite others to share and advise and join in the fun. Sound good? I hope so!

So what are some favorite activities? And why?

Here are some of mine, to get started.

First, I'm a wannabe fashionista - but sometimes I want to be a fashionista in another era, so I tend to make things that aren't available, like a Jane Austen era gown (suitable for an Assembly Ball) or the circa 1985 jacket from Desperately Seeking Susan. I guess it's my attempt at time travel. Then I wear it at Halloween, my most favorite holiday.



I also love making hats. I think they're fun, whimsical, and serve little purpose (save those that are protective) other than to make you and the people who see you smile. I'm only just learning the skills necessary to make them -- out of both straw and felt. I actually find I like working with felt better. You can push and pull and stretch and tuck -- and start all over if you don't like how it looks. And with felt, you can wear it pretty easily. I mean, it is warm, right? Fascinators, at least in the U.S., require a bit of an occasion, but if it dips below 40 you have an excuse to go all out. At least according to my calculations.

And I love making silver jewelry. I'm sure I'd love making gold jewelry, but I'll have to save that for my next life when I'm fabulously wealthy. What I love most about making silver jewelry is that working with metal has a truly meditative quality. If you start focusing on something else, like say, your last really bad date, there's a chance you'll mess things up. So you need to stay in the moment. And if thoughts of that bad date really won't disappear ... well you do have a nice piece of metal and a hammer. I can't tell you how cathartic that is!

In my next post, I'll put up some pictures and tutorials. In the meantime, I do have a website called Melissa Glim Fine Jewelry, where I sell stuff that I made AND an Etsy store where I've listed some bridal tiaras.

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment